Firmware is a set of instructions or a software-based program that is programmed on a D-Link router. The manufacturers release firmware updates periodically, which helps the device to run more efficiently.
D-Link also provides the latest updates for the firmware that is available on its network. If you have set up a wireless D-Link router at your office or home, you will receive notifications on the latest router firmware. But, if you haven’t updated the firmware for a long time, you may have missed the latest features or essential security updates.
The firmware updates can solve several problems in the D-Link router and improve its stability and speed. Hence, it is essential to keep the router’s firmware updated.
If you are unaware of how to update DLink router firmware, then you should follow the rest of this guide. Here, we are going to present some easy steps that can help you to update the firmware of the D-Link router.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Update DLink Router Firmware
Have a look at the steps provided below to obtain recent firmware updates:
- First, double-click on the D-Link router icon and log into your account.
- Navigate to the Tools section and tap on the Firmware button.
- Afterward, you should go to the Firmware Information category and tap on the ‘Check Now’ button.
Note: You may see the “The firmware is the latest version” notification but, the version is also available. Then, ignore the message and download the latest firmware update.
You can also do this by visiting the official website of the D-Link router.
How to Update the Router’s Firmware from the Manufacturer’s Website?
- Open the web browser and go to the official website of the D-Link router.
- Then, go to the product page. Tap on the Firmware link located at the right pane of the screen.
- Scroll down the list of firmware and search for the latest update. Make sure that it is newer than the version you are using currently.
- Now, tap on the Download button to initiate the downloading process. Save it to your computer.
- Once you complete the downloading process, you should go back to the router page. Then, tap on the ‘Choose File’ option.
- Go to the location where you have stored the newly-downloaded file and open it.
Note: Before continuing the updating process, you need to confirm that your system is directly connected with the router. It is also recommended to avoid the wireless connection while updating the router’s firmware.
- Tap on the Upload button.
- Now, the window will prompt to back up the configuration file. Tap on the OK button to proceed further.
- Confirm your action by selecting the correct firmware file.
Now, check whether you have successfully updated the firmware of your D-Link router.
We are now going to put an end to this article. If you follow the above instructions in their respective order, it will help you to update the firmware of the router.
If you have any doubts or queries regarding how to update Dlink router firmware, you can use the comments section to share them.