Every router has inbuilt firewalls, which are necessary for the safety of your device and network. The firewall in the router disables or blocks various components through the Internet that tries to access your device or your home network.
Sometimes, you need to allow these blocked connections to access certain programs. You might have a game or an application that you need to install on your device using the Asus router. For this purpose, you have to unblock the connections. The process involves opening a port or a connection, which can be termed as Asus router port forwarding.
In port forwarding, a port is directly forwarded to the device on your home network. To cover the details on how to open ports on Asus router, we are taking the help of this article. Here, we will discuss how you can set up a port forward on your Asus router by following simple steps.
Points to Consider While Port Forwarding on Asus Router
To set up a port forward on your Asus router, you have to follow four basic steps. These are the points necessary for performing Asus router port forwarding:
- Establish a static IP address on your device or computer.
- Login to your Asus router’s online setup page.
- Locate and move into the port forwarding section in your router.
- Finally, create your port forward by following proper steps.
Learn How to Port Forward Asus Router
In this section, we are going to explain each step very carefully in detail. So, if you are interested in port forwarding on your Asus router, then you need not panic. All you need to do is to go through these steps.
Step 1. Set up a Static IP address
This is the first step that you need to follow, in case you are looking for port forwarding on your router. A static IP address is important since it ensures that your port remains open even when rebooting your device.
Step 2. Login to your Asus router
After you are done with creating a static IP address, you will have to log in to your router account. Since your router uses a web interface, you can access it using any kind of web browser. You can use Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or any other browser to login to your router.
You can log in through the following steps:
Open any web browser. Now, go to the address bar situated at the top portion of the page.
Whatever series of numbers is present in the address bar, you will have to replace it with the IP address of your Asus router.
After you have put the IP address, press the Enter key. A screen with a box will appear asking you for username and password.
The default user name and password would be ‘admin’ for the Asus router. So, enter the username and the password and press the Enter key.
This will allow you to log into the web interface of your router.
Step 3. Move to the port forward zone
Once you have entered into the web interface of your router, navigate to the port forward section. Now, follow these instructions carefully.
- Go to the Advanced section.
- Click on WAN, which is present on the left sidebar.
- Now click on the Virtual Server/ Port Forwarding located on top of the page.
Step 4. Create port forward
This is the final and the most important step for creating a port forward. Follow these instructions to set up a port forward:
- First, you have to select the Enable Port Forwarding option and hit the Yes button.
- Give a name for the forward process that you are about to create. Put the name in the “Service Name” area.
- In case, you forward a range of ports instead of one port, then put the range in the Port Range box. You should first put the lowest port in the range and then the highest one. There should be a dash in between the two.
- In the Local IP box, put the details where you wish to forward this port to. Now, you should know whether you are forwarding ports or not. It is important to run some applications in devices other than your device as well. Then you can put the IP address of your device in this box for the port forwarding.
- When you have to forward a range of ports, enter the port range inside the Local box. From the protocol box, select the protocol that needs to be forwarded.
- Now, click the Add button when the process is complete. Finally, click the Apply button. When the entire process is over, the necessary changes will be saved automatically.
How to Check if the Ports have Opened
Once you have completed all the steps for Asus router port forwarding, you will want to verify it. There are several websites and applications available on the Internet, which can help you to verify the ports that you have forwarded on your router.
So, visit any of those online port testing websites and check your results. These online port testers are usually accurate and precise in their results.
We hope that by using the above-mentioned methods, you will be able to carry out port forwarding on Asus router. These steps are quite simple and effective. They are presented lucidly to help even a non-tech savvy user.
We would love to get your feedback on this article. Do let us know if we have missed out on anything here.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I Need to Reset My Asus Router Before Port Forwarding?
It is not always necessary to reset or restart your Asus router before you want to forward ports. Sometimes, you might need to reset the router and there are situations when it’s not needed. The answer to this question varies according to the model of your router.
2. Is Port Forwarding Dangerous?
Forwarding of ports is not dangerous at all. However, the overall safety depends on the service at the status of ports. Your safety while port forwarding also greatly depends on your firewall’s settings and how strongly it is protected.